The role of the Medical Assistant (MA) is to function as a skilled and competent person responsible for supporting both clinical and administrative staff members. The position may also schedule an appointment at one of CFHC’s clinic locations. This position is responsible for ensuring all required calls are documented on approved forms and in the Electronic Health Records (EHR). The MA must work within the scope of his/her practice as described within this job description and the demonstrated competencies consistent with the MA’s knowledge and skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Intermediate level knowledge of clinic administrative procedures and practices
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with patients, the clinical care team and the general public
- Ability to perform job duties in an effective and timely manner
- Ability to function with minimal supervision
- Ability to organize tasks and use time effectively
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions timely and accurately
- Ability to keep patient and staff information confidential
- Ability to function as an effective team member
- Ability to consistently project a caring and courteous voice tone
- Ability to learn current computerized program used in the job
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend, lift and move intermittently during the work day
- Answers multi-line phones, screens call’s for requested next available appointments, both return and new patients.
- Ability to take messages and refill request and send to the correct providers or providers nurse.
To qualify for this position, the employee will be a graduate of a recognized program designed for training MAs. This position requires certification by a nationally recognized certifying body. Nationally recognized certifying bodies include the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), the American Medical Technologists Agency (AMT), and National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), and the National Health Career Association (NHA). The employee must be able to demonstrate a caring attitude and helpful approach toward all patients. Experience in a primary care medical office practice, community health, Call Center, or public health setting is preferred but not required. Reliable transportation is necessary.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient and family.
- Screens and processes requests for information and services through telephone management.
- Professionally interacts with patients, providers, coworkers, and the general public.
- Actively and effectively communicates status, progress, and needs to Call Center Supervisor.
- Actively assesses the security of patients, staff, and the facility, and provides reports of problems to Call Center Supervisor.
- Supports performance improvement activities and policies.
- Subject to frequent interruptions
- May be required to work beyond normal work hours and in other positions as necessary.
- Schedules return patient appointments by locating patient in patient master listing of the practice management system. Verifies and updates the patient address and phone number. Determines next available requested appointment and appropriately completes and confirms scheduled appointment.
- Schedules new patient appointment by selecting the patient master listing of the practice management system. Completes all possible sections in both front and back screens of patient information section. Appropriately selects the next available new patient appointment, and completes and confirms the appointment.
- Explains the patient charges system, including sliding fee schedule and requirements as well as patient’s responsibility for their portion of the charges.
- Assure that the patient has been seen within the last 3 to 6 months when sending medication refills request.
- Explain the 48-hour wait for medication refills.
- Advises the patient to bring a current list of their medication needs to their appointment and to arrive at least thirty minutes early for new patients and fifteen minutes early for returning patients to complete required registration information.
- Performs other duties as required.
**You must provide your license or certification number on your resume.**